How can a brace help you?Many people with arthritis in the knee feel that they are unable to perform exercise due to pain in the knee joint. A brace can help take the load off of the joint, prolong physical activity (eg. during strengthening and rehabilitation sessions), and decrease pain with weight bearing activities.
How does it work?
Visit your doctor and obtain a referral/script – most insurance companies require this in order for you to be reimbursed for the brace
Your first appointment will be a 30-min consultation with our Athletic Therapist, who will determine the best brace to suit your needs.
We will take measurements and photos. Based on these parameters, we will send in an order for a completely customized brace for you. We will also submit the insurance claim and estimates to the insurance company for you – you don’t need to lift a finger!
- Ordering the Brace:
Once the order has been placed, your custom brace will arrive at SHAPE in approximately 5 business days.
- Picking Up Your Brace:
We will give you a call when your brace is ready for pick up. When you come in, we will make adjustments to ensure it is comfortable for you, show you how to use it, and then answer any questions you have.
What braces do we offer?
Unloader One CustomThis completely customized knee brace is comfortable, lightweight, low-profile and provides excellent suspension and unloading abilities. This lightweight brace uses 3-points of leverage to properly take the load off of your joint. Color-coded buckles simplify application and removal, while flexible shells and breathable liners, coated with silicone, improve comfort and reduce migration, helping to ensure patient compliance. Recent research demonstrates that the Unloader One reduces pain, improves function and decreases the use of pain medication.
Candidates for the Unloader One:
- Mild to severe uni-compartmental osteoarthritis
- Uni-compartmental knee conditions requiring load reduction, such as Articular Cartilage Defect Repair, Avascular Necrosis, or Tibial Plateau Fracture
- Helps unload the tibiofemoral joint and reduce pain/stress in the knee
- Thigh circumferences of 13.5” to 29” (34.3cm to 73.5cm) and calf circumferences of 9.8” to 24” (24.9cm to 61.5cm)
CTi CustomThis truly custom brace provides the ultimate combination of stabilization and protection of the knee joint. It uses hinges with extension stops to glide with the knee and breathable liners coated with silicone to reduce migration and skin irritation. Reversible field-serviceable buckles and trimmable straps facilitate fast adjustments and customized fit. CTi custom braces are available in 3 models — Vapor, Standard and Pro Sport — and can be further customized with a variety of options, colors, designs and/or accessories.
Candidates for the CTi Custom
- For knee conditions that may benefit from increased front/back and side/side stability around the knee, such as: ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL, rotary and combined instabilities
- Improves overall stability and allows the user to feel comfortable performing activities of daily living without risk of re-injury. These braces are great for grade one sprains, all the way to the pre-operative stage for repair or even post-operative to aid in recovery.
- Vapor model for low to medium impact levels
- Standard model for medium to high impact levels
- Pro Sport model for highest impact levels
Rebound Cartilage CustomThe success of an articular cartilage repair is dependent upon patient compliance during the rehabilitation process and the protocol is based on restricted cartilage load combined with gradual increase in activity. Many rehabilitation protocols suggest partial weight-bearing as the standard of care for successful outcomes. However, patient compliance to partial weight-bearing instructions with crutches has been shown to be inconsistent.
The Rebound Cartilage is a protective functional solution designed to support regeneration of the knee cartilage after repair procedures such as Microfracture, OATS and (M)ACI. Based on the clinically proven 3-points of leverage system and cartilage protection straps, joint unloading is maintained in flexion for protection of the cartilage during the healing process. Breathable wrap around sleeve integrated with silicone coated calf liners and doeskin thigh liners provide increased comfort while ensuring adequate suspension. Color-coded buckles enable easy application and removal. This brace also comes with an optional modular flexion control kit available when needed per prescribed rehab protocol for range of movement restriction.
Candidates for the Rebound Cartilage
- Articular cartilage defect repair needing unicompartmental load reduction or range-of-movement restriction
- Cartilage knee trauma benefiting from unloading or movement restriction and needing pain relief
- May also be beneficial for other unicompartmental knee conditions that require unloading, movement restriction and pain relief, such as: meniscal repair, Avascular Necrosis, condylar bone marrow lesions (bone bruises)
- Thigh circumferences of 13.5” (34.5cm) to 29” (73.5cm) and calf circumferences of 10” (25cm) to 24” (61.5cm) at 6” (15cm) below mid-patella.
For more information, visit the Ossur Website