What is it?Fascial Stretch Therapy – or FST – is an assisted stretching program that has been thoroughly researched and designed by some of the top professionals in the health and fitness industry. It focuses on our fascia – the connective tissue that surrounds all muscles, joints, and nerves. FST helps to lengthen muscles and loosen tension in the body and has been shown to increase range of motion (ROM), decrease pain and inflammation, and improve physical performance.
When fascia is tight & restricted, there can be:
- Decreased blood flow to surrounding tissues
- Increased muscle tone which can lead to strains/tears
- Increased nervous tissue tone which may result in headaches
- Increased scar tissue formation
- Decreased joint capsule space, which can lead to degenerative joint diseases such as arthritis
- Adhesion of fascia to surrounding tissues, resulting in limited movement and impaired function
What to expect from your Fascial Stretch Therapy session at SHAPE
- A session of FST can be likened to a dynamic massage of sorts; it is a system of assisted mobility and stretching movements performed on a treatment table. Sessions are one-on-one and completely personalized to address your needs
- As you relax on the treatment table, your FST-certified therapist will apply comfortable straps to help stabilize any limbs or body parts that are not being worked on. The mobilizations done during your session will allow your body to be moved and stretched in ways that you cannot do on your own. The stretches work into the deep tissues of the body to help relieve tension that you may not have even known you were holding!
- Traction is a major component of FST’s utility. Traction is used to open up joint spaces which allows for an increased range of motion as you stretch. The FST therapist will take you through a number of movement patterns, paying close attention to any fascial restrictions. While FST is generally pain-free and quite relaxing for most people, some areas may be more uncomfortable than others depending on the level of fascial restriction. Your therapist is fine-tuned in detecting high-tension areas and will work slowly and carefully on these areas to make sure you are as comfortable as possible
- Immediately following a Fascial Stretch at SHAPE, clients often notice that they feel relaxed as well as “longer and lighter”.
- Fascial Stretch Therapy is a fantastic compliment to other forms of rehabilitation. We recommend booking a Fascial Stretch session before and/or after your workout!
Benefits of Fascial Stretch Therapy
- Reduces risk of injury (ex. muscle strains, tears)
- Improves posture and allows muscles to function optimally
- Promotes the release of endorphins – our body’s natural painkiller – which means less muscle soreness after your workout
- Increases flexibility and range of motion
- Promotes development of body awareness
- Enhances physical fitness and performance
- Improves recovery time by increasing blood flow to the muscles
- Get better sleep
To book your Fascial Stretch at SHAPE, call us at 416-929-8444, or Book with Andrew Online